top of page
Patient and Nurse

Insurance For Home Healthcare Aides

Who needs home health care insurance?
Home Health Aides, Registered nurses, occupational therapists, physical therapists, and other medical professions who treat patients and provide services at a patient’s home need professional and general liability insurance. Several issues can occur when working in a patient’s home that would warrant the need for liability insurance. Protect yourself while helping patients.

Home health care policies available:

Professional Liability Insurancesometimes called E&O Insurance—offers numerous potential benefits, including coverage for negligence, defense costs, bodily injury, personal injury (libel and slander), and property damage. While events such as fraudulent acts are not usually covered by a home health care professional liability insurance policy, this form of insurance is important for anyone who regularly provides professional services or advises clients.

  • Negligence: The family of a patient sues you when the client is hospitalized with an infection. They claim that you failed to change the dressings from a recent surgery, which led to the infection. We may cover your defense costs as well as any settlement or judgment, up to your limits of liability.

  • Loss of personal information: By mistake, you misplace a file with sensitive client information. It was an accident of course, and the information is compromised. If the client files a claim, we could cover claims subject to the limit of insurance.

Should a patient react negatively to treatment, accuse you of breaching confidentiality agreements, or otherwise feel they have been damaged in some way by the services you provide as a professional, there's always a risk that you could be sued. You can work to protect yourself by getting professional liability insurance for home health care professionals, which is an important tool for providing peace of mind.   

General Liability Insurance - In addition to times when home health care professionals can benefit from having professional liability insurance, there are some scenarios that are not typically covered under this type of policy. General Liability—also called Commercial General Liability (CGL)—covers professionals against property damage, claims of bodily injury, and any associated medical costs.

  • Bodily injury: An elderly patient falls and breaks her hip while you are at her home. Her family alleges that you did not keep her apartment clear of obstructions and claims that you are at fault for her injuries. We could cover the patient’s claim and medical expenses up to your limits of liability.

  • Property damage: While you are in a client’s home, you knock over and break an expensive antique vase. We may cover the cost to replace the vase, up to the limits of your liability.

  • Personal injury: While at lunch an employee is talking to the owner of the shop about one of their clients in a false and unflattering way. The client learns of this discussion and sues for slander. We will cover the subsequent claim, up to your limits of liability, and pay for an attorney if necessary.

Copyright 2020, Hiscox, Inc.


bottom of page